Sunday 12 May 2013

How Do I Pause Writing When Life Comes Calling?


One of the most painful things to do when I’ve begun to write is to stop. The flow of thoughts is so incessant that I think to stop them must surely be a sin.

I have to remind myself that I have a life outside of the story that I’m creating and if that doesn’t work, remind myself that in all probability, the story will definitely have rough edges that have to be worked out in the light of day. 

Many a time, have I ignored this advice, ignored that I have a life and gone on writing anyway.

So do I deliver a killer story that way?

No. I mostly have to discard the pieces immediately after, or discard the very parts I’ve forced myself to write after giving myself that warning. 

When I immerse myself into my imaginary world, then take a breather and come back again, I find the world I’ve created lacking. Then I can infuse those elements the real world has inspired me with into my writing.

But after I get back, how do I know I will have the same connection with the story, the insanely strong connection I felt the previous day? I don’t. Just like I don’t know if that guy I had the one amazing date with is going to call me or not.

If I do find that connect, then it’s awesome, I can continue writing immediately. If not, I see if changing anything about it will make it work for me. Maybe an idea is buried in the gibberish. Maybe changing a character or a character’s decision can help. Maybe changing the plot elements will do the trick.

But if I try all of that and it still doesn’t work, then it’s time to move on without looking back. After all a good story like a great love, affair simply can’t be forced.

No comments:

Post a Comment