Friday 10 May 2013

I Think I have Writer's Block. What Should I Do?

Writing good, original stuff all the time seems impossible to do sometimes. Then again, if you force yourself to write that way, the pressure it creates may keep you from writing anything at all.

Whether writing is viewed as a simple process of putting word after word on paper, or whether you lower your expectations during writing to raise them during editing, you have to see what works for you, so that you can go on writing.

Different brains thrive in different environments. Some use the pressure to churn out their best work while some hate any kind of pressure and develop a mental block when faced with it. Whatever your reaction to pressure and whatever your reason for developing a block, the simple way to avoid it may just be to know how your brain works and study your writing process in and out. For example, whenever my mom says something to me and breaks the flow of my writing (like right now), I have to struggle to get back the flow of my thoughts.

I guess either my expectations of myself have always been low or I typically write for myself, but I have never been unable to put word after word on paper and create a story from the words so combined, even with my mother's interruptions (I love her a lot, don't get me wrong).

But what about the originality? What about the quality of what I've written? Now, that is something that I need to work on. That is something that I plan to work on through this blog. What I've learnt so far is that discussing my thoughts with someone else really helps. With that in mind, I give you my e-mail address, so that you can contact me with your problems and we can find a way to work through writer's block together.     

I'll dedicate myself to understanding how you work as a writer and find a way to help you come out of it. You can share your story with me and I can help you make it the best it can be.

Hopefully, we will find a way to get writer's block out of our systems, once and for all.

You can email me at boottheblock@gmail.com.  

No comments:

Post a Comment