Tuesday 4 June 2013

My New Writer's Process

Normally, I let a really strong emotion grab hold of me and lead me into the story. After creating a character who's feeling the same thing I am, I explore her (or his) reasons for the feeling, going through her mind and her life and ultimately resolving the conflict she faces, also subduing the emotion I started with.

But a few months ago, I went through an intense ideating phase. I was reading articles about plot and characterization  and I'd wanted to experiment with the insights I found there. So, I wrote plot after plot after plot, seeing the action unfold and the change in the character from conflict to maturity. Out of these ideas I created, there are 13 ideas I really want to flesh into stories.

I feel too impatient to be leisurely about them but at the same time, I want to enjoy them. So, I'm going to create a new process for myself from today. I will write one of these stories everyday or every two days, depending on the time available with me. I shall add these stories to the list of others that I have been meaning to edit since very long. Then I shall begin editing them after these initial drafts have been written.

Meanwhile, I shall pen down new ideas as and when I get them and if the urge is too strong, make that idea my story for the day. Till now, I've been moody and capricious with my writing. I wonder what will happen when I create this routine. It's time to see.

This is my daily plan as of now:
1. Write a story from the 13
2.  Read a friend's story or a popular story and analyze it
3. Edit a story from my list of pending stories

:) Let's see how it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment